Whether you are heating or cooling your home, the type of window you choose will determine how energy-efficient it is. It may be pleasant outside now, but when the weather turns stormy and cold, you will be happy you chose new replacement windows as your warm-weather project. One thing to remember, however, is to choose the right windows. Depending on the quality, you could spend anywhere from a few hundred to thousands of dollars on new replacement windows.
As a contractor in Colorado Springs that replaces plenty of windows each year, we are often asked to explain the differences in windows to our customers. For many years, homeowners in the Springs were stuck on wood windows, and owners of mountain homes were even more sold on their beauty; but then this became overly expensive. While there are always a few homeowners that say wood is a "must," they are a lot more expensive to install and maintain.
Which type of window should you choose?
Despite the obvious differences in curb appeal and aesthetics, vinyl windows are a better choice for your replacement windows if you live in this part of Colorado. If you are searching for replacement windows for your Colorado Springs home, then you may want to choose vinyl. It stands up better to high elevations and winter weather, and because of the way they are mechanically fastened, they also are more efficient. While wood windows naturally absorb water, vinyl windows are able to repel it. This prevents the window frames from deteriorating over time.
If you've never shopped for replacement windows or met with a Colorado Springs window installer, you may be surprised to learn just how many options are available. Customers must choose the type and the color of their interior hardware; decide on grilles and whether to opt for self-cleaning glass, and then choose the level of insulation needed. Your installer will walk you through the process and help you select each of these options, and then provide you with a written order detail about the type of window you selected.
What should you ask your window installer?
Before setting up appointments with window contractors in Colorado Springs, it's important to prescreen them over the phone. This will save a lot of time and it eliminates the temptation to choose installers based solely on their salesmanship. Asking a few simple questions first will ensure that the contractor really has the experience you need for the job.
Before asking questions, be prepared to share some details about the project, such as the type of window you are looking to buy, the number of windows, your budget and timeline for the project. Only after they know the scope of your project can they answer your first round of questions.
Here is a list of questions you could ask a potential window contractor:
- Is there a specific brand or type of window that frequently recommend? Why?
- How long have you been in the window installation business? What is your specific experience with vinyl window installations in my area?
- Do you have a permanent installation crew or do you subcontract the work whenever you get a new job?
- What are your payment terms?
- How do you handle service issues after the installation is complete?
- Can you provide me with customer referrals?
- What is your standard procedure for finishing out a window's interior after installation? Is painting ever a part of your installation package?
- How long would my window installation project take you to complete?
- Do you offer any warranties on the installation of the window, which would be above and beyond the window's warranty?
When you've completed this interview process with a handful of prospective contractors, take a few minutes to compare the answers and you will discover which Colorado Springs replacement window installers to call back for an appointment.